I’m Nichole Betterley, the “N” behind N Powered Websites. I’m a one-woman WordPress Design & Development shop with more than 8 years of training and experience in HTML, CSS, PHP (and a host of other alphabet acronyms you probably don’t know or care much about), as well as custom WordPress development.
My passion for coding and design started in Middle School when my dad brought home our first IBM PC (waaaay back in the mid 80’s), and I’ve been doing it in some form or other ever since.
I have a Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration from the University of Washington with a focus on Management Information Systems (that’s a mouthful). And I spent 11+ years at a Fortune 500 company as a developer, tech support, a project manager, and ultimately a mid-level IT manager in charge of multiple teams of talented people and a multi-million dollar tech budget. Me and computers are best buds.
After I bailed off the corporate track in 2003, my husband and I started a gourmet oatmeal business called Mindful Mornings because, you know, that was an obvious next step for me. When we wanted to be able to sell our oatmeal online, my first web project became creating an ecommerce site for us. As it turns out, I loved making websites a heck of a lot more than I loved making oatmeal, and I found my true calling.
I love what I do, and being able to create something that is beautiful, functional, and in service to others is such a gift. I work for myself, not only to be home with my family and be an active part of my daughter’s life but also to model for her the values of being self-sufficient, following your passion and dreams, and living the life you want to live.
Still want to know more about me? Keep reading for a peek behind the curtain.
Here are 5 kind of quirky, random things about me (which is so 2009, but I like to live on the not-gonna-hurt-yourself, butter-knife edge of trendiness):
- I love to read – by myself… with my daughter… every single day. My GoodReads bookshelves are an odd mishmash of adult, young adult, and kid’s books (which often turn out to be some of my absolute favorites). I’ve spent more time than I care to admit going back through years and years of my library checkout history making sure as many of the books I’ve read over the past 10-20 years are on there as possible. That’s what I do for fun – Saturday nights around my house can get wild like that.
- I have a cat. His name is Hercules. I call him my boyfriend because he likes to snuggle at inopportune times. Truth be told though, he likes my husband more than he likes me (and it turns out I’m actually a dog person). But I’m still pretty fond of Hercules.
- I love color – the color palette choosing part is one of my favorite parts of the website design process. (Psst…here’s my Pinterest colour board if you like color, too.)
Follow Nichole Betterley’s Colour board on Pinterest.
- I’m a total home-body – I don’t have a wandering soul. I like going places, but I don’t particularly love the travelling part to get there. And packing is one of my worst nightmares (that usually has to involve some form of imbibing to get through).
- My family sings heavy metal in the car at the top of our lungs. Just to be clear, my husband is the head-banger. I lean more towards the Pop 40’s end of the musical spectrum. But my fairly young daughter knows most of the words to (entirely age-appropriate) songs like Ozzy Ozbourne’s “Crazy Train,” Quiet Riot’s “Come on Feel the Noize,” and Iron Maiden’s “Run to the Hills.” Now there’s something to brag about, huh?!
So, if you’re a literary, cat-loving, color-enthusiastic, home-body (or maybe even if you’re not), go ahead and snag my guide for How to Jump Start Your Website Project, and maybe we can be pen pals. 😉
I’d love to hear from you. Feel free to drop me a line.